Skip to main content

Learning Together at #MACUL16: Don't wait to try something new!

March is a hard time to try something new in your classroom.  You already have your routines set, your expenctations are crystal clear, and your curriculum is rolling along at a steady pace.  Breaking that flow and trying something new can not only be challenging, but also intimidating.  Our next guest blogger, Kitty Broderick - Third Grade teacher at Woodland Elementary in Portage Public Schools, shows us all why it's okay to make the leap in March and try something new... your students will thank you!
"This year at MACUL I was ready to take something back and implement it right away!  That was my goal.  No longer would I say, "Oh that's a great website.  I'll plan on starting it next school year.  I don't think I have time for it in my schedule at this point in the school year."
Starting something new in March is hard (for teachers).  We already have a set routine, students know the expectations for each part of the day, and teachers are busy trying to get in assessments (dare I say,"M-STEP") and papers/projects completed before the end of the year.  Adding something new as we are gearing up for spring break and the end of the year sounds like a lot of work, right?  WRONG!  What I added into my schedule has actually made things easier for me!
For 30 minutes of the day, students have PAW reading time (may be referred to as WIN (What I Need - Tier 2 Intervention) time in other buildings).  I have 10 students in my room who I often have reading a National Geographic magazine and responding to questions in their journal during this time.  While I love these nonfiction articles and the kids enjoy learning about tornadoes, wolf packs, and different types of pollinators, we needed a change of pace.  Enter:   Google Classroom and DOGOnews.
This match up has been a breath of fresh spring air in my classroom.  I have only been using it a week and the kids love it.  Not only do the 10 students from the one group I introduced it to love it, the other students in my room kept coming up to me and asking if they could do it when they were done with their own work.  All I had to do was give them the Google Classroom code and they picked it up in no time.
Google Classroom was something I wanted to do.  Let's face it, I was the only one in my Chromebook Pilot 1-1 Teaching Group NOT using it.  I felt that with the group of third grade kiddos I had this year, it would be too much.  I was wrong.  
DOGO news is a website where students can read up on current events in a kid friendly manner.  A little bit of text, a related video, plus short answer questions ALREADY made up for students to answer.  This is great practice for students to work on their RACE strategy for short answer questions.  Not to mention, you can share all of this directly to your google classroom!  My students have done NEWSELA, as well as ReadTheory, but this ranks right up there with them.  
Here's how I do itAlthough you can find an article quickly and easily on DOGO news and share it immediately to your Google Classroom, I found that it was too much text within the assignment description.  Also, I wasn't sure if my 3rd graders were going to respond to the questions as a comment, or did I want them to create their own Google Doc and copy and paste the questions into it?  
To make it a little easier on them, I first  copy and paste the questions from the article into my own Google Document and increase the font size so it's more third grade friendly.  I then creat an assignment in my Google Classroom, attach the google doc I just created and make sure to have it make a copy for each student.  Finally, I copy and paste the link from the DOGOnews article to my assignment as well.  This takes me all of 5 minutes (tops!).
So what are you waiting for?  Go try it out!  Or you can wait until the beginning of the next school year. ;-)" ~ Kitty Broderick

Thank you, Kitty, for inspiring us all to jump in and try something new with our students!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Google Docs: Fonts for Early Elementary

Sample of search results from fonts.google.com A couple weeks ago, I was sitting in a training with a bunch of my favorite lower elementary teacher friends, and several of them were lamenting the fact that it is hard to find "good" Google fonts for the little people they work with on a daily basis.  Specifically, it is a challenge to find the single story lower case a and the open 4 .  This conversation, of course, sent me out on a mission to remedy this for these fantastic people.  So, the next day I put on my headphones, turned up the tunes on Spotify, and dived into the website fonts.google.com .  This website lists all the Google fonts available.  It also allows you to type in your own letters and numbers and see them in all the various fonts.  For my purpose, I typed in "abckgy 1234 This is the font."  From here I could see all 877 fonts, and look specifically for the a   and the 4.  It was quite an adventure, and I came across a lot of really awesome font

It's time to change your password!

There are several times a year when it is important to change your password.  Your password will expire every 90 days. When your windows computer informs you that your password will be expiring soon, CHANGE IT THEN! It is also always a good idea to change your password before going on break so that you do not get locked out of your computer, email or gradebook.  Here is how you change your password from the school windows computers. On your Windows desktop/TEC computer , press the Alt, Ctrl and Delete buttons at the same time. Click on "Change a Password" on the menu below: Enter your username, if needed, and follow the directions on screen. If you are off site or working solely on a Chromebook , you can use the VDI (Virtual Desktop) to change your password.   Simply go to vdi.portageps.org.  Click "VMware Horizon HTML Access."  Click "Accept."  Login with your portage username (leave off the @portageps.org) and password.  Click "Login."  Cli

Skyward Tech Tip: Unlocking a Closed Grade Period

Have you recently attempted to change a grade from last quarter only to be met with the statement “ This Grade Period is closed for Grade Entry “? This occurs because the date for the end of a marking period or quarter has past and that grading period has been locked in the Skyward Gradebook. Below you will find the process for changing term grades, assignment scores, and other information from past grading periods. Google Docs Version Go to your gradebook Let’s start with the gradebook for the class where you need to make a change. In this example, we will be adding a score to a missing assignment and removing the incomplete grade from the quarter grade. (Note: The process to open or unlock the gradebook is the same regardless the change you need to make.) This change will be made for marking period three, Q3. In that marking period column, click on the “Options” dropdown button. From the Options dropdown, choose “Grade Posting Status for Term QX”, whe